Saturday, February 18, 2012

Sew Out Loud QAL - Zipper

I changed my mind, instead of bee blocks I finished up my SOL block and im so pleased with it.

Are you joining in the Sew Out Loud QAL? Even if your not then you should check it out, there is some serious talent joining in on this one and some amazing people designing the blocks.

Block 1 kicked off this week with the wonderful Julianna designing this amazing zipper block

Zipper scheme


Now as I love text fabric and I love paper piecing then I knew this was a QAL I definitely wanted to join in with.
I have been rooting through my stash since this QAL was announced (I had to make a few extra purchases of course!) dividing up fabrics and trying to decide what fabrics/colours etc. I have a few text fabrics but the styles of them all vary so much and some are cotton or cotton linen mix in differing percentages, I felt I didnt have enough that really went together. So I have decided to make some of my own.

As soon as I saw this block I knew what fabric I would design for it and what colours I would go with - Pink and Green!



And I made zip related text fabric. Im really pleased with how it turned out. I did make mine slightly differently to Julianna, I left the green fabric (cosmo cricket, tailor made) whole instead of paper piecing these in strips, I sewed curved seams instead. I also did this with my zip text fabric.

Im not sure whether I will do all blocks in this colour scheme, I think I will see what speaks to me for each block, if they all go together then thats cool, I will do a quilt, If not then the blocks will pop up in all sorts of other projects. I am going to aim to use my own fabric in each block though. I cant wait to see next weeks block now, I wonder what Kirie will do?

5 comments:

Swedish Scrapper said...

Ooooh, nice! I like your fabric choices!

Jeannette Bruce said...

So great! Good job on this!

Sarah said...

Oh that looks fab! I printed the pattern out right away, but I've not had a chance to try it yet...

Katy Cameron said...

Perfect fabric choice for it

Annie said...

Love, love, love your block! Perfect "made" fabrics for the block theme. I think you've just changed my mind to print this pattern and possibly give it a go...at some point. Awesome inspiration!